Falafel is jam packed with protein, flavor and its a healthy vegetarian option for your meatless Monday or if you just love vegetables. It is simple to make and this version is baked so you don’t have to worry about frying. This delicious snack or salad topping comes together so quickly so its great for a week night dinner!
Baked Herb Falafel4
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 cup Italian parsley
- 1/4 cup fresh mint
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 onion
- 1 teaspoon baked powder
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 clove garlic
2 Egg whites that have been whipped into stiff peaks
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- In a food processor mix all ingredients together, except the egg whites and oil. Don’t over mix or else it will turn into hummus! Its good to have a few chunkier bites of chickpeas!
- Give the mixture a taste to see if it needs more salt or pepper. If it tastes yummy to you, transfer into a bowl and fold in the egg whites in with a spatula. Try to keep it fluffy to prevent having dense falafel. Cover the falafel mixture with plastic wrap and put in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours.
- Set up a baking sheet with parchment paper and set the oven to 375º. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the mixture onto the baking sheet in a disk like shape. Repeat until all of the falafel mixture is on a baking sheet.
Place in the oven for 25 minutes. After 25 minutes, pull the falafel disks out of the oven and get ready to quickly pan fry for about 1 minute on each side.
- Place a nonstick frying pan on high heat with 1-2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Allow the pan to get hot for about 30 seconds and using a metal spatula, gently lay the falafel disks into the pan allowing them to get crispy for about 1 minute on each side before taking them off the heat.
- Allow to cool on some paper towels and dig in!