Chicken Tikka Masala4
Servings: 4 people
- 4-6 chicken thighs
- 3 tablespoons Taste Of India Spice Blend found on shop.inemilyskitchen.com
- 1 cup plain whole milk yogurt not greek
- 6 roma tomatos
- 1 brown or white onion
- 2 shallot - divided
- 6 cloves of garlic - chopped
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed, vegetable or coconut oil for sautéing
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger - chopped
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 Pinch white sugar
- 1 serrano pepper - diced optional
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup of whole milk or half n half
- 1 cup whole milk plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup cucumber - chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic - chopped
- 1 tablespoon mint - chopped
- 1 tablespoon cilantro - chopped
- juice of half a lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- First, make the marinade for the chicken. Mix the yogurt, 1/2 chopped shallot, 3 cloves chopped garlic, fresh ginger, and 1 tablespoon of Taste of India. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Whisk together and then add in the chicken thighs and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least an hour and up to 6 hours.
- While the chicken marinates, work on your sauce! Pulse the tomato, onion and other remaining shallot together in the food processor for about 1 minute until fully incorporated and smooth.
- Pour tomato and onion mixture into a dutch oven with about a tablespoon of grapeseed, vegetable or coconut oil. Let it fry/sauté on medium, stirring for about 10 minutes.
- Then add 2 tablespoons of Taste of India, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper to the onion and tomato mixture. Let it sauté for another 10 minutes then add the remaining 3 cloves of chopped garlic and the serrano pepper. Sprinkle in a tiny pinch of sugar. Then add the wine and chicken broth and let it simmer of low for an hour to 3 hours with the lid askew.
- As that cooks, take the marinated chicken thighs out and cook on a baking sheet at 425º for 20 minutes- to recreate a tandoori oven. You want the chicken to be coated in the yogurt marinade!
- As the chicken finishes cooking, swirl in the butter and the milk. Mix in milk slowly so it doesn’t curdle. Then once chicken is done, add into sauce and cover for 10 minutes.
- Serve on top of white rice and garnish with fresh cilantro and enjoy with some Raita and Naan!
- Simply mix all the ingredients together in a bowl and cover and put in the refrigerator until ready to use!