Fall Apple Pie4
Servings: 4 people
- 7 Honeycrisp apples
- 1 stick of salted butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons Autumn Warmth
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 16 tablespoons cold butter cut into small cubes I put it in the freezer for 15 minutes before using
- 1 cup ice water
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup demarara or raw sugar
- First make your crust! In a food processor mix together the flour and salt. Pulse the the cold butter, a few cubes at a time until it is a crumbly mixture.
- Add 1 tablespoon of ice water at a time to the dough until the mixture comes together.
- Typically it takes 3 tablespoons of ice water to get it to come together.
- Divide and press into 2 equal disks. Wrap in plastic wrap in place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- After and hour, roll out 1 of the disks to about 11 inches in diameter and 1/2 inch thick.
- Place the rolled out dough into a 9 inch pie pan. Cover the pan with foil and fill with a pie weights or something like dry rice or dry beans.
- Bake at 425º for 25 minutes and golden.
While that bakes, make the filling!
- Peel all the apples and chop into small bite sized pieces.
- Melt a stick of butter in a large stockpot.
- Add the apples, brown and white sugar, Autumn Warmth and vanilla to the melted butter. Cook the apples on medium high heat for about 5 minutes and then add in the flour.
- Cook on medium high heat, stirring every few minutes for about 10-12 minutes. The juices should be thickened and the filling should be sticky.
- Turn the heat off and allow it to cool. Once it has cooled for 30 minutes, add it to the pie crust.
- Roll out the other disk and place on top of apple filling.
- Whisk the egg and brush it the egg wash on top of the dough before baking.
- Bake at 375º for another 55 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
Remove from the oven and allow it to cool for at least 2 hours before cutting. Enjoy! With love + salt