Gourmet Turkey Burgers with Red Pepper Coulis4
Servings: 4 people
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon Italian parsley - finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons canola oil for cooking burgers
Red Pepper Coulis Aioli
- 1/2 red bell pepper - roasted and peeled
- 1/2 shallot - roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil for sautéing
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
Pickled Red Onion
- 1/2 red onion - thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
Building your Burger!
- 2 cups arugula
- 4 slices pepperjack cheese
- 1 avocado - thinly sliced
- 1 tomato - sliced
- 4 kaiser rolls
Pickling the Red Onion
- In a small pot, bring the white vinager, salt and sugar to a boil. Once it hits a boiling point, 4 minutes, pour the liquid directly over the thinly sliced red onion in a small flat Pyrex. Set aside and let it pickle!
Making the Turkey Burgers
- Combine the ground turkey, Italian parsley, paprika, salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Mix together until combined but do not over mix to prevent burgers from getting tough. Form into 4 patties abut 2 1/2 inches in diameter. Set aside.
Red Pepper Coulis Aioli!
- You can either buy pre-roasted bell pepper or very easily roast one on your own. If roasting on your own, just place half of the pepper directly on the flame of your stove. Allow the skin to totally char. Once the skin is black, take it off the stove, allow to cool and peel the skin off. It should come off very easily!
- Next sauté the red bell pepper and 1/2 a shallot in a pan with 1 teaspoon of olive oil for about 5 minutes on medium heat- just until the shallot becomes translucent. Turn off the heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Add the shallot and bell pepper into a small food processor. Add in the garlic, mayonnaise, sherry vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste. Mix on high for 30 seconds until smooth. Set aside.
Cook the Burgers!
- Time to cook the burgers! I like to cook my burger in my Lodge cast iron skillet. Add in the canola oil and turn to high heat. After about 1 minute the pan should be nice and hot. Lower to medium heat and add the 4 patties to the pan and cook on each side for 5 minutes.
- After flipping the patties, add the 4 slices of pepper jack cheese to each patty.
- Turn the boiler on and toast the kaiser rolls for about 2 minutes under the flame. But be careful! They can go from toasty to burned REAL QUICK.
- Once the buns are nice and toasty, take them out of the broiler. Place the cast iron skillet with the cheesy patties in the broiler for 30 seconds to get the cheese nice and bubbly!
- Take the burgers out and assemble.
- I do bottom bun then add the red pepper coulis aioli, then the cheesy patty, the avocado, pickled red onion, arugula, tomatoes and then a little more red pepper coulis aioli on the top half of the bun and Voila! We're ready to eat!
with love + salt