Roasted Tomato Soup with Stuffing Croutons4
Servings: 4 people
- 3 cups of tomatoes - any kind I like to do a mix of cherry and cocktail tomatoes and I always use Houwelings Tomatoes
- 1 small head of garlic cut in half horizontally so all the cloves are exposed
- 1 teaspoon salt for tomatoes
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 1 shallot - chopped
- 3 - 4 cups of chicken broth
- 3/4 cup half and half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon In Emily's Kitchen Signature Spice Blend
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1-2 cups leftover stuffing
- 1/4 cups grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- First slow roast the tomatoes in a casserole baking dish with the half head of garlic, tomatoes, 1 teaspoon salt and 3 cups of tomatoes.
- Roast tomatoes at 300º for at least 45 minutes and up to and 1 1/2 hours.
- After the tomatoes have roasted, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil in from the tomatoes baking dish into a large stock pot.
- Add the shallots to the stockpot with the tomato infused olive oil. Allow the shallots to sauté on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Then ladle the tomatoes and their juices directly from baking dish into the stock pot.
- Add the roasted cloves of garlic to the tomatoes, squeezing the garlic cloves out of the garlic skins.
- Cook the tomatoes, shallots and garlic down with a teaspoon of salt, pepper and In Emily's Kitchen Signature Spice on medium low heat for 5 minutes.
- Then add in the chicken broth and simmer for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, add the tablespoon of red wine vinegar. This helps give the soup a little brightness!
- Using a hand blender, puree the tomatoes directly in stockpot. As the hand blender is going in the soup, slowly add the half and half to prevent the milk from curdling.
- Taste to see if you would like to season with any more salt and pepper.
- If soup is to your liking serve in a bowl with a handful of stuffing croutons on top!
- Simple toss the stuffing in parmesan cheese and olive oil and place onto a baking sheet in one even layer. Toast the stuffing for 8 minutes at 350º
with love + salt