Thanksgiving Turkey Roulade4
Tools Needed: Meat tenderizer/Rolling pin Dutch over or other oven safe dish with lid Kitchen twine
Servings: 4 people
- 1 skin on de-boned turkey breast *see side note at bottom
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Salt Diamond Kosher Crystal Salt
- IEK The Poultry Rub
- 1 large yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 leek finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic diced
- 1 cup of white mushrooms finely chopped
- ¼ cup plus 1/3 cup dry white wine (I used chardonnay)
- ½ tablespoon of neutral oil any high heat oil will work, I used grapeseed
- Herb Butter Rub recipe below
- Cranberry Reduction Sauce recipe below
Herb Butter Rub
- 2 table spoons fresh sage chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon IEK The Poultry Rub
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
Cherry Reduction Sauce
- 3 tablespoons preserved cherries
- 1 tablespoon Champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon white wine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375 F with rack placed in middle.
- Place turkey breast on long sheet of plastic wrap and pull the extra wrap over to cover. Using a meat mallet, heavy rolling pin or flat bottomed pan, pound it outward until it’s an even ½ inch in thickness. Season each side of the breast with 1 tablespoon IEK The Poultry Rub.
- Add 2 tablespoons of butter and 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet, over medium-high heat. Add onions and leeks to the pan and season with 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of IEK The Poultry Rub. Sauté for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic and continue to sauté briefly; then add mushrooms and ¼ cup of white wine. Raise the heat to high and continue to cook to slightly reduce the liquid.
- Season the mixture with another 2 teaspoons of both salt and IEK The Poultry rub. Stirring occasionally, coking another 3 to 5 minutes. Then remove from heat and let rest for 5 mins.
- Spoon the slightly cooled mixture onto the interior side of the turkey breast, spreading out to create a thin layer over the breast. Starting at one end, roll the turkey breast, like a jelly roll. Some of the stuffing may fall out, this is OK!
- Place Dutch oven on stove over high heat and add your neutral oil, once oil is hot, add the roulade, searing each side for 1.5 minutes. Then add the reamining filling and another 1/3 cup of dry white wine around the roll. Coat the top and sides of the turkey with all of the herb butter rub (recipe below).
- Cover with lid and place in oven for 35 minutes.
- After 35 minutes remove the lid and cook for another 15 minutes to reduce the liquids and lightly brown the top of the roulade.
- Once out of the oven, remove the roulade from the Dutch oven and place on cutting board. Cut off the kitchen twine and slice 1.5 inch medallions. Plate and top with preserved cherry reduction.