White Mac n’ Cheese with Ham4
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon diced shallot
- 2 cups of whole milk
- 1 cup of reserved pasta water
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 cup shredded white cheddar cheese I like to use medium sharpness for this
- 1 cup shredded Jarlsberg cheese
- 1 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- 1/2 cup cubed ham steak
- 3/4 of the box of Cellentani pasta
- 9 slices of tomato
- salt to taste- you don’t need a lot for this recipe!
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 4 tablespoons panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 4 tablespoons grated Jarlsberg cheese
- First melt butter in a dutch oven. Add in the shallot and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Let the shallot sweat for 3-4 minutes and then add in the flour.
- Cook the flour, butter and shallot on medium- low heat, stirring constantly with a whisk for 10 minutes.
- Then slowly add in the milk, whisking vigorously to incorporate and create a creamy, silky sauce.
- Then slowly add in the cheese, whisking until fully incorporated.
- Put the lid on and turn the heat off. Next, cook your pasta in salted boiling water for 10 minutes. Then transfer pasta directly from the boiling water into the cheese sauce with a slotted spoon or spider.
- Turn the heat back on and stir together cooking for 1-2 minutes. Add in 1/4 cup - 3/4 cup of the reserved pasta water to the sauce as it begins to thicken up.
- Next add in the cubed ham and stir until incorporated.
- Top the Mac n Cheese with the sliced tomatoes, Jarlsberg cheese, panko and parmesan cheese. Drizzle the melted butter all over the top.
- Cover and bake in the oven at 350 for 10 minutes. Then take the cover off and turn the broiler on. Broil for about 5 minutes or until the panko crumbs are nice and crispy.
- Serve in a big cozy bowl with a little ground Pepper on top.